Thursday, December 18, 2014

ADA/ Sick Leave/ Clinic by the Bay

Two bills have been introduced to deal with lawsuits under Americans with Disabilities Act. They are AB 52 by Gray and AB 54 by Olsen
Small Business California  is looking closely at these but we don’t have a lot of details. It is my understanding they will provide for a fine of $1000 and give a business 120 days to take care of the violations.
It is not clear who will be opposed but I am sure some in the disability community will come forth. It is hoped that the $1000 fine will make this more attractive to many in the disabled community.

January 1 is fast approaching and it will be required that all businesses  to post information about the new sick leave law. The law will not take effect until July 1 2015 and basically will require 3 days paid sick leave for all employees. What is important for you to know is that employees start  accruing sick leave from the date of hire not at the end of 90 days when they become eligible for sick leave. If you want the poster let me know.

I have written frequently about the Volunteers in Medicine Clinic by the Bay in SF. I am the cofounder of this and it is a free clinic for the working  uninsured. Even with the passage of the Affordable Care Act many people will still not be eligible for health insurance or cannot afford it because of the cost of the insurance ,deductibles and copayments. I would like to encourage you to make a contribution and if you do so before Jan 1 2015 I will match your contributions up to  a total of $5000. You can contribute on line at
www.clinicbythebay.org. or send a check made payable to Clinic by the Bay and mail it to me at 2311 Taraval St SF 94116. I need to know of your contribution by December 31. Given mailing time let  me know by return email of your contribution.
Thank you.



Scott Hauge
President
Small Business California
2311 Taraval Street
San Francisco, CA  94116
shauge@cal-insure.com
415-680-2188 

No comments: