Wednesday, June 13, 2012

EDD/ Government People that Have helped you

On Friday I will be meeting with Sharon Hillard Deputy of the Tax Branch at EDD. Quite frankly this agency has been a mystery to me and I have not been able to figure out how to work with them. Hopefully Friday I will get some direction. Please see below information about classifying independent contractors and contacts in the Taxpayers Advocates office.

Does anyone have any experience in working with EDD. Have you been audited? What questions would you like me to ask Sharon?

Once a year I ask small businesses  to identify people in government they have worked with  that have been helpful to them. Small Business California will send a letter to them thanking them for their efforts. The person can be anyone from an elected official to a government employee. My  person  this year is Ellen Widess head of Cal OSHA. She has been extremely helpful in providing me information about how Cal OSHA works and the resources they can provide small business.

Please provide me the  name of the person  and why you have put their name forward. Also provide me with contact information. The letter will include your name as the person who put forth their name.

Scott Hauge
Small Business California
2311 Taraval Street
San Francisco, CA  94116

Good Morning,

I spoke to my supervisor about how an employer can determine if their worker is employee or independent contractor.   An employer can call our Taxpayer Assistance Center  888-745-3886 and ask to speak to the Auditor of The Day.   The customer representative will forward their call to the Auditor of The Day, and the auditor can tell them if they classifying the worker correctly.   Employers can also submit a
DE 1870 to EDD (the address is listed on the form) if they want a written determination on the classification of the worker. 

I addition to the above resources, the employer can also read our information sheets about common law, statutory law and various other types of employment (link below)

They also can attend an Employment Status Course online (see link below) to get the basics on how to determine if a worker is an employee.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about how an employer can determine the status of their worker.

Thank you,

Azibaye M. Ikeni
Taxpayer Advocate Office
Tax Support Division
916-319-1468 - Fax

No comments: