Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Health Bill and Corporate Write Off

Many of you I am sure have seen that a number of large companies are taking charges in the current quarter for reforms that came out of the health care bill. 300 large corporations have urged the President to repeal a provision that allows them to receive a subsidy on drug coverage and then take a tax deduction for the expense. The companies have said this would deal a significant blow to corporate profits and discourage companies from hiring more workers.

I don’t understand the large companies on this one as it seems to me that if I receive a subsidy I shouldn’t be allowed to then take a deduction. Seems like double dipping but maybe some of you can explain this to me.

Yesterday I received an inquiry from a reporter indicating that businesses are going to be allowed to reduce their prepayment on payroll taxes due to the economy. I have not heard of this. Are any of you familiar with this provision and if so will it help you?

Scott Hauge
President
Small Business California
2311 Taraval Street
San Francisco, CA 94116
shauge@cal-insure.com
415-680-2188

No comments: